Monday, April 11, 2011

(Hopefully) Brief Hiatus

So while working on a project last week, my sewing machine broke! So I don't have any new projects to post because I can't get any finished! I plan to get a new sewing machine when our tax return gets here, but until then there will be no sewing for me...

I do have some work to do on decorations for my son's first birthday party and if I can get some of it done I'll post that here.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dr Seuss Dress

I finished the Dr. Seuss dress finally and it turned out pretty cute.


I've been kinda of slacking on the sewing so I need to get back at it. I'm planning on making Will a Dr. Seuss romper with the same fabric. I also have another Dr. Seuss outfit in the works for Will for his birthday.

Other projects I need to get started on are to finish the blanket from the sew-a-long 2 weeks ago and make the crayon tote bag from last week. I'm also planning on making fabric easter baskets for Nora and Will this year. Good thing Easter is so late this year!

Monday, March 7, 2011

I'm back!

I took an entire week off of sewing and then have only sewed a little bit this week but I do have some projects to show you!

I made these pants for Will:

Here is the complete outfit with matching tie onesie:

I also made another Tie onesie but it didn't turn out too well. I get pictures of it later. I've been working on my quilt letters too, but I'm waiting until they are all done to show them off.

My project for this week is a new pillowcase dress for Nora with Dr. Suess fabric! I hope it comes out as cute as I imagine in my head.

Finally, I'll be catching up on my blog sew-a-long projects by doing last week's blanket (a little late) and this weeks art tote.

Monday, February 21, 2011

This week's completed projects

I finished the fleece soaker (but it didn't turn out to well so I don't have a picture). But I did have a couple of successful projects too.

I made Will another tie onesie:

This time I used a zigazg stitch around the outside and it turned out really well.

Skirt for Nora:
This was super easy and turned out really cute. I'll definitely be making more of these skirts!

This weeks Blog Sew-a-long challenge camera case:
Unfortunately it is too small for the video camera I wanted to use it with so now I just have this handy little patch to store...something...?

Friday, February 18, 2011

Sewing Books

So I've been doing most of my sewing from online tutorials and patterns. There is a lot of great (and free!) stuff out there. Last night though, I went to Barnes and Noble and found some really great sewing books that I can't wait to get (eventually)!

Sew What Bags
This looks like a great book with lots of information and ways to sew bags without a pattern.


Little Girls, Big Style
Cute girls clothes and easy to follow instructions. I also looked at the book Sewn With Love but it seems more difficult and not really my style even though it did have some boys clothes in it too.


Oliver + S Little Things to Sew
I wasn't sure I'd like this book because it's a lot of accessories and other things to make besides toys. But it was really cute and seems fairly easy to follow.


The Practical Guide to Modern Patchwork
I love the style of these quilts. I'm not planning on tackling a quilt anytime soon, but I'd like to attempt one eventually and I'll probably use this book to do so.


Monday, February 14, 2011

Projects for this week

So I guess I'm feeling a little ambitious this week and have several projects in the works.

First, I'm making a fleece soaker (diaper cover) using this pattern and tutorial.


Then, I'm making a skirt for Nora using this tutorial (looks super easy!):


I'm making William a pair of pants from this pattern and a matching onesie (probably another tie one but I haven't decided for sure yet):


and finally, I'm making a camera case for our little video camera (which seems to be misplaced all of a sudden) using this tutorial:


I'd also like to make Nora another pillowcase dress out of the owl fabric, but I'm afraid I'm taking on too much as is because I also have more rag letters to do! So some of this might spill over into next week.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Valentine's Day Projects

Here are the completed projects for this week!

First, I made Will a tie onesie to wear for valentines day.
It turned out really cute. I have two more onesies that I'll probably add ties to as well. I used a straight stitch around the edges (using heat and bond underneath). Next time, I think I'll try a zig zag stitch and see how I like that.

I also made Nora and pillowcase dress. Apparently my measurements were a little off and it ended up too short. So I decided to tackle adding a ruffle to the bottom. After searching the internet, I found a good tutorial. However, when I went to stretch it out to fit the bottom of my dress, I didn't hold on to the strings and lost my ruffle! So I decided to make up my own way of doing it and made a pleated ruffle instead. It turned out really cute. And while my stitching is not perfect, I'm really proud of this dress.
Close-up of pleated ruffle